Finished the last stitches on my 'Fiesta' table runner yesterday and I am just thrilled with how my experiment turned out! But before I show you - here's the story...
Earlier in the year, I had a (huh hum!) birthday and my girlfriends in Stockholm bought me this fantastic bowl. I was over the moon with it and it has been sitting in our dining room ever since. I loved the striking design and the colours and thought that perhaps I should have a go at making a table runner to complement it.
I was thinking about what to do and rummaging in my stash of fabrics when I remembered an embroidery kit that had been sitting in my 'to do' basket for far too long. It was perfect and I set to work.
I used fusible web to add the little bit of patchwork to some of the leaf segments. I simply traced the shape onto the (roughside - because you have to reverse it) fusible web, ironed it on to the fabric, peeled off the back and ironed it directly onto the linen. I then used invisible thread (more about this 'fab' product soon) to stitch a tiny weeny zig-zag stitch around the edge to be sure there wouldn't be any fraying and then did some decorative stitching over the top.
I thought it looked really pretty when it was finished. But I decided it needed a little pizzaz around the edges.
So I fished around in my stash and found some bright and cheerful fabrics to use for the border.
I cut some random length strips.
And then just kept going around the edge until I had enough of a border. I backed the whole thing with a lightweight iron-on interfacing and then layered it with the backing and quilted the linen with a squiggle pattern. I stitched around the edge of the linen too, just to stabilise it. Then I made some patchwork bias binding and stitched it on in the usual fashion for a quilt.
I was so happy with it, I took way too many photos, here's just a couple...
Its fun when an experiment turns out so nicely.
I think that a splash of colour is just what you need as those chilly autumn days approach. I hope maybe this will give someone else some ideas. Let me know if I can help in any way. Ruby x