Dealing with Hang-Ups in the Sewing Room!

With all the unpacking that's been going on around here since we got back to England - it's amazing what turns up.  Last week, I found this.

Patterntidy1
I was given this when I was a small girl by my incredibly exciting Godmother, who lived the high life in London.  I am not going to say how many years ago it was, but let's just say we are talking decades!!!  It hung in my bedroom and somehow survived the teenage years and beyond and when I had my first son in 1990, it surfaced again and hung again in our house and was used for all sorts of kiddie things.   What is so amazing is how it survived my kids teenage years, travelled to Moscow and Paris and Sweden and somehow found it's way back again to Yorkshire.  I unpacked it late one evening last week and thought ahhhh how lovely and stuck it on the chair in my sewing room.  There it stayed for a couple of days and everytime it caught my eye, I got to thinking that actually it was rather a good idea.  Perhaps though, I would prefer something alittle more grown up????  By coincidence, I also got my 'monthly gathering' of fabric from Anna Maria Horner and in it were two rather striking fat quarters.  So the idea formed that I should try to reproduce this so that I could store all the patterns that float around my sewing room of the 'I will make this soon' genre.  It came together pretty well, so I thought I would share it with you as you only need one fat quarter and some bits and pieces to make it.

Patterntidy3
This little printed panel seemed like the ideal thing for the pocket, it's so pretty and I used the wooden coat hanger from the original hang-up. 

First of all I drew the shape of my coat hanger on the top edge of the back of the fat quarter and cut the curve out.

Patterntidy4
Patterntidy5

I wanted to write the word 'Patterns' on the front above the pocket and this was easy as I have a basket of scraps to rummage in for this and fusible web.  Mark out your letters freehand, remembering that they will be reversed when you iron them on.

Patterntidy7
Making sure they were in the right position, by pinning the pocket on roughly - I then ironed them in place and stictched around the edges with invisible thread and a small zig-zag stitch.

Patterntidy6
Then I quilted both the back and the pocket, before fixing the pocket on, lining up the two bottom edges.  The quilting makes the whole thing altogether more stable and strong for hanging up.

Patterntidy8
Then I put the usual sort of quilt binding on the two edges and along the bottom to finish it off nicely before fitting the back sleeve.  For that I cut out a piece of fabric about half the length of the back and marked it with the same curved top edge and cut it out.  Then I turned the sides and bottom edges underneath and pressed and stitched them. 

Patterntidy10
To finish up it was simple to just stitch the back and the sleeve right sides together, leaving a small opening at the centre top to insert the coat hanger.

Patterntidy9
Once it was turned right sides out, it fitted snuggly onto the hanger and has made the perfect pouch to store my straying patterns.  I hooked it on to my new fabric drawers (courtesy of the genius of IKEA) and it really helped to tidy up my sewing room.

Patterntidy6 (2)
So such a fun and useful small project that turned out much better than I might have expected.  As for the original London Bus, well, I shall pack it away for the next generation of little people, whenever they might happen to come along.  I must say it's very satisfying to put old ideas to work.....
 the only trouble is that everytime I walk passed this now - I hear little voices calling 'make me...make me'.  Ho...hum - too many plans...too little time!!!!  Ruby x